Raya raya

after 23 years of raya-ing in terengganu for a week (the least), no one could blame me for itching to be back in kl on the 3rd day raya.
i was beyond excited.
beyond thrilled.
beyond ecstatic
i was an annoying girl jumping up and down with curiosity.
so i salam-ed my nenek goodbye with no feeling of guilt as i drove away and watch her sit solemnly by the door probably cursing me for leaving her behind with the endless number of relatives (who seem to grow in number and pop outta nowhere with the years).
altho the bummer in me has carefully trained my body and mind to hate early mornings, there was no stopping me from getting on the plane. not even the 30 mins drive to the airport plus the 50 mins flight to klia plus the 10 mins walk to ERL plus the 15 mins wait for the ERL plus the 28 mins ride to klSentral plus the 15 mins wait for abdul to come pick me and finally the 20 mins drive back home.
nothing.
nothing.
and that was exactly what i got.
back in kl... there was nothing.
it was like any other weekend.
my friends were out shopping, my sister was watching tv, my brother was lepaking with his friends, my nieces and nephews were swimming, and abdul just got outta bed.
where were the giant plastic ketupast?
the fairy lights?
the annoyingly familiar sharifah aini's raya song?
where? where?
i was so busy asking everyone why that i forgot to be disappointed
i couldnt find the strength to be angry
i was pissed at myself for giving up my few more days of stuffing face with my nenek's nasi minyak and satay.

abdul got tired of my bitchin bout kl being a horrible place to raya (he having to do so for the last 24 years).
he finally got me to shut up by saying that this is just the way it is. there's nothing wrong with the way KL-ites celebrate their raya. it's just that my whole life ive done it a certain way, and i just cant or too stubborn to accept raya being any other way.
if he's right
and i have an annoying feeling that he might be
then i guess some things are best the way it is
chages are good. but not for everything. not always.
and especially not my raya.
i like it just the way it is.

if true what abdul says, that KL only celebrates raya a week after raya itself, when everyone comes back from their respectives kampung and have open houses..maybe i wont be so bitter.
but until then... im very bitter.
might just screw plans of asb-ing my duit raya and go get some pretty eye-shadow instead.
maybe then id be lil less bitter.
huhuhuhuhu

Comments

Popular Posts